Monday, May 5, 2008

A funny thing happened in Cyperspace

I was learning the Tango Romantica, and so I decided to do a Google search on it. By the way, for those of you trying to learn a new ice dance, Google searching is far superior to (1) lessons and (2) practicing. There is no muscle fatigue or sweat involved, although carpal tunnel can become an issue. You get better at the dance, vicariously, just by surfing the Internet. This cyber-learning involves the phenomenon of “muscle memory,” or perhaps it’s “random access memory” or some other kind of memory, I can’t remember. It’s all very scientific and complicated so please just take my word for it.

Add YouTube on top of Google and you can watch pretty much any dance you want, for free, in the comfort of your own living room. A true learning bonanza.

So anyway, I was Googling “Tango Romantica” but accidentally typed “Tango Romantic,” and after following a series of links I found the website of Carole Bellacera, an author who had written a romance novel featuring … are you sitting down??? … ice dancers. The book is called “Tango’s Edge.”

I read the trailer which was steamy and featured some skating, then I e-mailed Carole and found out that she loves ice dancing. I encouraged her to give skating a try through Learn-to-Skate lessons at her local rink, but she is a skier and didn’t want to jeopardize her skiing with a skating injury. (I can understand this because during the competitive season I don’t ski, bike, or run with scissors just to avoid injuring myself.)

Here is a link to Carole’s website. I can’t wait to read “Tango’s Edge” at the beach this summer!

No comments: